Monday, December 27, 2010

Birthday Thoughts

Today, I turned 37 years old (not 45 as reported by my oldest daughter). As with most people, a birthday becomes a time to consider and think about the past and the future. As Wes King once said, some things I've done better, some things it's hard to say.
But considering the future, I'm struck by the frailty of it all. A couple of weeks ago, a friend with a serious health condition announced that he and his wife were pregnant. I asked how he felt about it in light of his health issues and he said that they didn't know what was going to happen in four years so they knew they wanted another child so they decided to go ahead. His comment reminded me of what Andy Dufresne said in The Shawshank Redemption, "Get busy living or get busy dying."
The thing is none of us know what the future holds. Just thinking about what is different from December 27, 2009 to today boggles the mind. I changed jobs within Catholic Charities (from Adoption Support and Preservation to Flood Relief), started and completed my practicum experience), had a baby, and started leading our community group. I could list off a number of other things- relationships formed, Rangers in the World Series, crazy weather (a flood and a white Christmas), a new clutch in my truck, and so on. Imagine what will happen next year.

Isaiah 40:7-8 "The grass withers and the flowers fall, because the breath of the Lord blows on them. Surely the people are grass. The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever.”

No comments: