Monday, August 15, 2011

Comment on my comment?

One of the blogs I read just about everyday is Jesus Creed, a blog by theology professor and author Scot McKnight. He links to interesting articles usually related to Christianity, the church, and culture. I usually read the comments, but I don't often comment myself because who really wants to read my thoughts, anyway. I don't have a tremendous amount to add anyway. Tonight was a different story. The story didn't really do much for me, the comments got me going a little bit and I tried to post an opinion and try to mix in some snark. I love some good snark. The link is about Christian music and marketing, but it goes deeper than simply "what's the deal with Christian music?" It's about marketing and authenticity. Granted, Christian music in general comes up woefully short IMHO, but again, not the real point here.

http://www.patheos.com/community/jesuscreed/2011/08/15/ccm-and-christian-marketing/

I won't repost the whole excerpt, but I will repost my comment. I'm curious to hear others thoughts. Am I missing the point?

I hate it when Scot posts something about Christian music because everyone piles on with the whole, “I hate Christian music. I want something with real spiritual depth.” It’s like a big group of hipsters who say “Meh” to everything. “Christian music sucks, except for what I listen to.”

I’m not defending Christian music here. I tend to agree with alot of what has been said. (Though if you want to catch some good Christian music, check out radarradio.net. See, I’m do it too.[sic])

But the point of this excerpt isn’t that Christian music is terrible. It’s that too often 21st century Christianity has tried so hard to be relevant that there is no difference between the church and the world. And if there’s no difference, then what’s the use? The church has bought the consumerism garbage and is paying the price (no pun intended). The slick packages and the cool presentations just make it all look fake. As we all know, the worst thing in the world is to be fake.

Comment by Russell — August 15, 2011 @ 11:42 pm

No comments: