Sunday, August 17, 2008

This is the First Day of the Rest of My Life

When I was in the middle school, one of my teachers (I think it was my 7th grade English teacher Ms. Riettinger, but I'm not sure) has a poster on the wall with Garfield hanging from chains in a dungeon that said in big letters at the bottom, "Today is the first day of the rest of your life." It took me a while to get it, but I eventually got it. Another way to put it is "What's past is prologue." But what it basically means is that the past is gone and the future is what is left.

Well, as I type this it's 12:05 on Friday, August 22, 2008, and today really is the first day of the rest of my life.

My parents are here and my sister is coming. I was watching the weather and it's supposed to be warm with possible showers. Olympic baseball is on while the local news is going in between Olympic coverage and I can't sleep. It reminds me of when I was a kid and it was the night before Christmas when all through the house, the only I know of stirring was me. The last few weeks have been long and the wait seemingly forever, but the day has finally arrived and in about 14 hours so will my daughter. From this day forward, everything changes completely.

Man, am I nervous.

1 comment:

Nanette R. said...

From my observations today, you were a natural at being a daddy! I loved getting to meet your daughter from your arms as you brought her out of the delivery room and watching you with her in the nursery as she was examined and later, had her first bath, gave me a new perspective on who Russell Massey really is! You are in for the ride of your life and you're going to do great!