Sunday, July 13, 2008

Gay or not Gay?

My favorite radio station is Sports Radio 1310 The Ticket. I listen to it over the internet at work and one of my favorites is Bad Radio's gay/ not gay, usually Tuesdays at one. In fact, Jeanette and I will listen to it whenever it makes the Ticket podcasts. People will send in questions about circumstances or something that was said and ask if it was gay or not gay. Actually, the guys from Bad radio call just about everything gay. I guess if there is a question at all, it's probably gay. I have a gay/ not gay that I'm thinking of sending in, but decided to post it here first. Jeanette wanted to me note that what she finds so funny about it is the fear guys have of being perceived at "girly" or weak.

Over the 4th of July weekend, I was in Texas to visit family, have a baby shower with my family, and celebrate my mother's 60th birthday. Whenever I'm in Texas, I usually go to a Ranger game (you can read my musings on the Rangers at my other blog 110 percent), but through a terrible lack of foresight on the Rangers' part they were out of town so I went to my first Frisco Roughriders' game at Dr. Pepper Ballpark. BTW, beautiful ballpark. I went with my good friend Dan. He and I like to get together and talk sports. Mostly, we like to figure who is a spare and who isn't. The classic spare is Doug Jones and his 76 mph fastball that we saw at a Rangers game one year. Anyway, we left the game and he drove me over to my car, he gave me the baby gift that he and his wife Sharon had bought for us. So here is where the question comes in: Sitting in his car in the parking lot, I open the gift bag. It has a rattle, a wrap around towel, and some other things that they really like with their son, Aiden. As I'm sitting there, opening up the gift, I start to wonder. Is this gay? We are having a girl, so the bag and most of the things in the bag are pink. And of course, they are all baby things. On the other hand, Dan's wife obviously bought all the stuff and wrote on the card. In fact, Dan didn't even sign his name himself, his wife did. So there is my question. Is opening a baby gift with your friend in the car gay?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe it is not gay, due to the parenting exception clause. This also I feel can cover 'pre-parenting', such as a man with a 7 month pregnant wife.

Laura said...

OH GOODNESS!!! I am laughing out loud and I just cannot stop. Since I know you both I am picturing this and in my mind you are both totally uncomfortable with the situation you you two are in!!! I have no good answers, but totally enjoyed your post!!!

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Great work.